Father’s Day Selling Guide
Americans are spending more than ever on Father’s Day. In 2016, sales peaked at around $14.3B, or an average of $125.92 per person (see for yourself here). Even better news, clothing is the second largest gift category for Father’s Day purchases, with roughly 43% of consumers planning on buying clothes for the dads in their lives.
There are 25 million fathers in the U.S., and more than 3 out of 4 American adults plan to celebrate Father’s Day this year. Online sales for Father’s Day are quickly on the rise, and we want to help you make the most of this popular holiday.
PRO TIP : Have customers order by June 3rd to ensure orders arrive in time for Father’s Day on June 17th.
Father’s Day buying trends
As you can see below, “Fathers” or “Stepfathers” are the highest recipients of Father’s day gifts. However, a significant 28.4% of gifts are for husbands. Using “Dad” or “Father” in your designs is always a good start, but you can also experiment with other titles, such as “Husband/Hubby”, “Son”, “Grandpa”, or “Bro/Brother”.
Target your ads towards adult kids and wives
As a seller, it’s important to remember that your primary buyer demographic for Father’s Day is adult children and spouses. Men are traditionally less likely to purchase for themselves on Father’s Day. In fact, 2/3 of men in the U.S. claim their clothes are chosen for them by their wife/partner (survey results here).
Other statistics to keep in mind:
- Women are twice as likely to buy a shirt as a Father’s Day gift than men
- 74% of women buy Father’s Day gifts compared to just 62% of men
- Ages 18-40 make up the bulk of Father’s Day spenders
International dates for Father’s Day
Although June 17 is the most common day for Father’s Day in 2018, there are several other Father’s Day dates you can target for extra sales:
- Feb 23 – Russia
- Mar 19 – Spain, Portugal, Italy, Andorra, Angola, Bolivia, Croatia, Honduras, Liechtenstein, and Mozambique.
- May 10 – Germany
- Jun 3-10 – Switzerland, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, and Denmark.
- Jun 17 – Most countries (including the U.S.)
- Jun 21 – Egypt, Jordan, Kosovo, Lebanon, Syria, and United Arab Emirates
- Jun 23/24 – Poland, Nicaragua, and Haiti
- Aug 8 – Taiwan and Mongolia
- Aug 12 – Brazil and Samoa
- Nov 11 – Finland, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, and Estonia
For more specific Father’s Day dates in 2018, you can visit “Father’s Day” on Wikipedia.
Call-to-action ideas for Father’s Day ads
Children who are buying for dad
- Dads are hard to shop for. We’ve made it easy. Buy now and get [xx%] off your order!
- Skip buying another tie this Father’s Day and get a gift that’s made just for him.
- Don’t know what to get dad this Father’s Day? Give the gift he’ll wear for years to come.
- Gift cards are great, custom shirts are better. Make this Father’s Day one to remember with unique, dad-friendly gifts.
- Don’t have a gift yet for Father’s Day? Fear not, this shirt is sure to win him over.
Wives and partners buying for their husband
- Let your special guy know just how much you appreciate him. Buy now before it’s too late.
- For the man who’s more than just a husband. Limited-time Father’s Day offer.
- Husband. Friend. Partner. Dad. Any man with so many titles deserves the perfect gift. Shop now and get [xx%] off your order.
- Bring a smile to his face this Father’s Day with a gift that’s just for him. Because he’s more than a husband, he’s a dad.
General call-to-actions for Father’s Day ads
- Get a Father’s Day gift for that special dad in your life. Buy within the next 24 hours and get xx% off!
- We’ve made Father’s Day shopping even easier. Get the perfect gift for the perfect dad. Limited-time offer!
- Get something this Father’s Day that shows you’re thinking about him. Limited-time offer, buy today before time runs out!
Source: Teechip’s Blog